Submit a FOIA request to FCSIC
Before you submit a FOIA request, please look through the materials already available on our Web site. If you are unable to find the information you seek, follow the instructions below on how to submit a FOIA request. Be sure to look at our fee schedule if you have any question about the costs associated with your request.
The FOIA request
A FOIA request is a written request for FCSIC records made by any person, organization, or business that either explicitly or implicitly invokes the FOIA or the agency's FOIA regulations. Generally, the FCSIC will process a FOIA request and provide a response in 20 business days. A FOIA request should include:
- A reasonable description of the requested records that enables FCSIC personnel to locate them with a reasonable amount of effort. To the extent possible, a description should include specific dates, titles, and subject matter; and
- Whether the requester is willing to pay fees if more than 2 hours of search effort or 100 pages of records are desired.
A FOIA request for FCSIC records must be in writing, clearly marked "FOIA Request," and addressed to the Freedom of Information Officer. Requests may be sent by mail, facsimile, or electronic mail to these addresses:
Mail Address: Freedom of Information Officer
Farm Credit System Insurance Corporation
1501 Farm Credit Drive
McLean, VA 22102-5090
Fax Number: 703-790-9088
Upon receiving the FOIA request, the FCSIC will promptly disclose the records unless they are protected from mandatory disclosure by one of the nine FOIA exemptions. Reasonably segregable portions of a record will be provided after deleting the exempt portions. When a request for a record is denied, in whole or in part, the Freedom of Information Officer will:
- Explain the exemptions and exclusions that are the basis for the denial;
- Provide a brief statement describing what the exemption(s) cover; and
- Provide the procedures for appealing the denial.